This is a sad, tragic story and unfortunately all too common. Never use an accelerant in your wood burning heater.
This is an excerpt from a Blaze King woodstove manual:
Never use gasoline, gasoline type lantern fuel, kerosene, charcoal lighter fluid, or similar liquids to start or ‘freshen up’ a fire in this heater. Keep all such liquids well away from the heater while it is in use. Some fuels could generate carbon monoxide and are very dangerous.
This is an excerpt from a Quadrafire woodstove manual:
NEVER light or rekindle fire with kerosene, gasoline, or charcoal lighter fluid; the results can be fatal.
Keep combustible materials, gasoline and other flammable vapors and liquids clear of appliance.
• Do NOT store flammable materials in the appliance’s vicinity.
• DO NOT USE GASOLINE, LANTERN FUEL, KEROSENE, CHARCOAL LIGHTER FLUID OR SIMILAR LIQUIDS TO START OR “FRESHEN UP” A FIRE IN THIS HEATER.
• Keep all such liquids well away from the heater while it is in use.
• Combustible materials may ignite.
Furthermore, every wood or pellet stove manual I’ve read has warnings against using any accelerants with the appliance.
PLEASE DO NOT USE ACCELERANTS IN YOUR WOOD BURNING HEATER!
PECK, Idaho (AP) – An 80-year-old woman died in a house fire in northern Idaho after the homeowner used an accelerant to start a fire in a wood-burning stove.
The Lewiston Tribune reports that Carla Hillman died Sunday in the blaze that completely destroyed the single-wide mobile home she shared with her husband, 81-year-old Glen Hillman, in Peck.
According to the Nez Perce County Sheriff’s Office, Glen Hillman attempted to start a fire in their wood stove using an accelerant such as kerosene or gasoline. When the stove ignited, it blew the door off the wood stove and started a fire in the residence.
Glen Hillman suffered burns to his face and arms. A witness helped him escape the home but efforts to save Carla Hillman were unsuccessful.