There should be an 18″ minimum non-combustible hearth extension in front of the fireplace to help prevent accidents like this.

I pray for the affected.

Cause of fire determined
Coeur d’Alene Police and Fire investigators have determined the apartment fire that occurred this morning in the 4200 block of Crown Ave. was accidental. A log rolled out of the fire place and ignited the carpet and furniture. A 28-year-old male and a 29-year-old female were injured in the fire, and have been flown to Harborview Medical Center due to the extent of their injuries. The Coeur d’Alene Fire Department is reminding citizens to make sure there is a working smoke detector in every bedroom of a house and on every floor, and the detectors should be tested regularly.

A man and woman were critically injured in an early morning apartment fire today in Coeur d’Alene.

Coeur d’Alene Police and Coeur d’Alene Fire Department responded at 5:50 to a large structure fire in the 4200 block of Crown Ave.The apartment complex was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived.

Kootenai Fire, Northern Lakes, and Mica Fire Department also responded. Twelve people were evacuated from their apartments by firefighters. Two dogs were also rescued.

Coeur d’Alene Fire is reporting the twelve people were residing in a complex of four apartments. Eight of those twelve people were transported to Kootenai Medical for treatment. Six of the eight people were children. All of the children have been treated and released.

An adult male and adult female sustained critical injuries due to burns and smoke inhalation.

The Red Cross is currently on scene assisting with the victims displaced from their homes. The apartment complex sustained extensive damage. Police and Fire investigators are working to determine the origin of the fire. More information will be provided as it becomes available.